Crochet Cloud Granny Square Pattern
I have a super fun pattern today to create crochet cloud granny squares. I am really really excited about what I was able to come up with and I hope you enjoy it too. If you enjoy making granny squares, also check out my daisy granny square pattern.
My inspiration for these granny squares came from this YouTube video.
The clouds are made up of bobble stitches. I put a brief description below, but you may need to look into a more in depth tutorial on how to create the bobble stitch. For the bobble, stitch you will be working 5 stitches into 1 loop.
1. Yarn over, insert hook into stitch and pull up a loop. Yarn over, pull through two. (This is essentially completing the first half of one double crochet stitch.)
2. Repeat the first step the same loop until you have a total of 6 loops on your hook.
3. Yarn over, pull through all 6 loops at once.
4. Yarn over and pull through that stitch to close the bobble stitch.
- Yarn: Loops & Threads Impeccable in Blue Haze and Loops & Threads Creme Cotton yarn in Cream
- Size H (5mm) crochet hook
- Chain 16
- Turn skip the first stitch and single crochet across.
- Repeat row 2 for a total of 6 rows
- On the 7th row, chain 1, single crochet 6 across, create 4 bobble stitches (see above) with the white yarn in the next 4 stitches. After the last bobble stitch, slip stitch into the same loop, pulling up with the blue yarn (be careful not to crochet in this stitch on the next row). Continue with the blue yarn and single crochet 5 into the next stitches.
- Turn chain 1, single crochet into the next 5 stitches (including the last bobble stitch), switch to the white yarn, and create 3 bobble stitches in the spaces between the previous bobble stitches. on the last one, slip stitch, pulling up with the blue yarn in the same loop. Single crochet across with the blue yarn a total of 6 stitches
- Turn, chain 1, single crochet across 6 stitches, bobble crochet 1 in the middle bobble stitch of the previous row, slip stitch, pulling up with the blue yarn into the same loop. Single crochet 8 across with the blue yarn. At this point it may be concerning how much space the bobbles are taking up, but don’t worry they will squish together!
- Chain 1, single crochet across (15 stitches)
- Repeat row 7 x6 rows, then weave in ends.
Note: I had to make the clouds slightly off center because I didn’t want the granny square to be too big or too small and the clouds are 4×3 stitches. However, if you want them to be in the middle, you could make your granny square 12×12 stitches. I also tried making the first row of the cloud 3 stitches wide, but ended up liking the one with 4 better. However, it could be fun to create all sorts of different looking clouds since real clouds are all unique!
I love how these turned out and am so excited to put them all together to make a sweater or something! I will keep you posted when I figure out exactly what I am making out of them. I also have some other granny square ideas that I plan to post soon.