Crochet Daisy Granny Square Tutorial
I have been seeing daisies all over lately and I think they are so adorable, so you may be seeing a few daisy inspired crafts coming up lately on the blog. Today, I will be sharing a crochet daisy granny square tutorial and coming up I will be also be sharing a pattern for how you can combine the granny squares!
Yarn: Lion Brand Wool Ease (arrowwood, blush heather, and fisherman) and 6mm crochet hook
Step 1: Magic Ring
In your first color (yellow/orange), create a magic ring and single crochet 8 into the center. Pull the yarn tight and slip stitch back into your first stitch. Cut yarn, leaving a tail. I don’t like to weave the tails in until the end because the stitches can start to get loose as you continue with the next steps and it is easier to re-tighten the magic ring if the ends aren’t woven in.
Step 2: Petals
- In the second color (white), attach the yarn on the opposite end of where your tails are from the previous color. Loop the white yarn through, yarn over and pull up a loop, then chain three stitches.
- Yarn over, insert your hook into the same stitch. Yarn over, pull through. Yarn over, pull through 2 loops.
- Yarn over, insert your hook into the same stitch, pull through. Yarn over, and pull through 2 loops. Repeat this process one more time (yarn over, insert hook, pull through, yarn over, pull through 2 loops). Then, yarn over and pull through the 4 loops and your hook. Chain 2.
- Yarn over and insert your hook into the next stitch on the magic loop. Yarn over, pull through the stitch. Yarn over and pull through 2 stitches on the hook.
- Yarn over, insert your hook into the same stitch. Yarn over and pull through the stitch. Yarn over and pull through 2 stitches on the hook
- Repeat step 2 twice more. At this point there should be 5 loops on the hook.
- When you have 5 loops on the hook, yarn over and pull through all 5 loops. Chain 2.
- Repeat these steps until you have a total of 8 petals. Then, slip stitch to connect the first and last stitch. Cut yarn, leaving a tail and pull yarn through.
Step 3: Border
- Take your third color (pink) and pull yarn through one of the previous chain 2 spots on the petals. Yarn over and pull up a loop. Chain 5.
- Yarn over and insert your hook into the same chain 2 spot. Double crochet. Repeat for a total of 3 double crochet.
- Yarn over and insert hook into the next chain 2 spot. Double crochet x3 into that same spot.
- The next spot will be the corner. Yarn over and insert hook into the next chain 2 spot. Double crochet x3. Chain 2 and double crochet x3 all into that same spot.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 for the border until you are back at the first chain 2 spot.
- Into the first spot, where you originally chained 5, insert your hook and double crochet x2. Then slip stitch to connect into the 3rd of those chains. Then, cut yarn leaving and tail and pull through.
- Lastly, weave in all your loose tails using a yarn needle.
I hope you enjoyed this fun crochet granny square daisy tutorial and I would love to see any of the patterns you create using these granny squares. I have also linked the YouTube video tutorial from Melanie Ham in case you need more visual instructions. Thank you so much for reading!